Crocus Credit Union
A group of ten employees of Canadian Pacific Railways (CPR) saw a need for a financial institution that would assist individuals that the banks would not help. That is how, in 1952, the Brandon Terminal Credit Union Society Limited was born!
The first office was located in the CPR terminal in Brandon. Then, in 1974, the credit union moved to its current location at 1016 Rosser Avenue in downtown Brandon. In 1999, a major renovation was undertaken to add on to that location. An ATM was installed at Rosser Avenue and a drive-through ATM on 18th Street was also built. In 2002, our growth continued with the addition of a second branch at the Thomas Mall, located at 742 18th Street.
Through the years, amalgamations saw Crocus Credit Union Limited (as the name had been changed to) acquire the assets of the following Brandon Credit unions:
- Brandon Civil Servants (1978)
- St. Hedwigs (1984)
- Brandon United (1986)
- Brandon Mental Hospital employees (1988)
Our assets as at May 31, 2014 were just over $107 million and our staff group now numbers close to 25 employees, with an annual payroll of more than $1,000,000.
Our staff put in countless hours of their own time into a variety of service clubs, sporting organizations, youth clubs and other community endeavors. These include the Legion, the Wheat City Lions Club, and Rural Municipality of Whitehead, just to name a few.
In addition to supporting golf tournaments, curling bonspiels and numerous other local events, Crocus Credit Union has also donated more than $60,000 to deserving non-profit organizations since 2008.